The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this web site do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of IFA concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. Moreover, the views expressed do not necessarily represent the decision or the stated policy of IFA, nor does citing of trade names or commercial processes constitute endorsement.
The Protect&Sustain initiative is managed through the Technical Committee of the International Fertilizer Industry Association (IFA) and a steering group of industry members interested and experienced in establishing product stewardship programmes.
Enquiries concerning the p&s programme can be sent to IFA by email:
or by telephoning Ben Muirheid, Protect&Sustain project co-ordinator:
If you would like to become a protect&sustain registered user, please complete the linked form and await e-mail confirmation of your registration... Register now
Forgotten your log in details? Please type your e-mail address below and we will send you your User Name and a new Password. You will be able to reset the password to whatever you want when you next log-in.Not received your registration confirmation email?
Register now, to receive regular email updates as the protect&sustain initiative evolves. (We promise not to inundate you!)
In 2007, IFA developed a set of guiding principles for Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) management. These twelve principles embody the membership’s commitment to responsible and sustainable fertilizer production and use.
1. All members shall demonstrate leadership and management commitment with regards to safety, security, health and environmental issues in fertilizer production, distribution and sales.
2. All members shall strive for zero harm and adverse environmental impact whilst maintaining a healthy work place for all employees and contractual staff.
3. All members shall ensure that safety, security, health and environment issues are integrated into their corporate policy and receive the utmost importance and priority.
4. All members shall ensure adequate financial and human resources for continual improvement of safety, security, health and the environment performance.
5. All members shall comply with local safety, security, health and environmental laws and strive to embrace international laws and best practices as much as possible.
6. All members shall establish and improve their safety, security, health and environmental performance through annual objectives, targets or key performance indicators.
7. All members shall establish adequate procedures and controls to ensure that safety, security, health and environment are not jeopardized at any time or in any form.
8. All members shall ensure that all employees and contractual staff have the right competence and are adequately trained and informed about safety, security, health and environment related to their specific activities, and shall encourage the participation of employees and contractual staff for further improvements.
9. All members shall adhere to the principles of hazard and risk assessment in evaluating all their activities to ensure that safety, security, health and environment standards are continually enhanced.
10. All members shall strive to subscribe to safety, security, health and environment management systems that will be subjected to internal and external auditing.
11. All members shall voluntarily share information with regards to experiences and lessons related to safety, health and the environment with all employees and contractual staff, and with other IFA members, unless under legal constraints or if the information is of proprietary nature.
12. All members shall strive to continually promote safety, security, health and environmental matters to enhance the social responsibility and accountability of the global fertilizer industry.
The IFA Protect&Sustain framework could be said to be a logical continuation of the first of the SHE Principles that “all members shall demonstrate leadership and management commitment with regards to safety, security, health and environmental issues in fertilizer production, distribution and sales”.
In essence, what Protect&Sustain strive towards, is to provide a framework for extending the management of SHE issues beyond the fertilizer production facility and across the full supply chain...